1.How to enter: This contest begins on April 1, 2017, and ends on April 30, 2017.
To enter online, send your typed, double-spaced submission (500 words maximum, preferably in a Microsoft Word attachment) to GrantAGuitar@EthicalStudio.com.
The essay topic for 2017 is “How does music act as a peacemaker in your life?”
Entries must be received before the deadline stated above. Limit one entry per person or e-mail account. Essays should be submitted in English at a maximum of 500 words and typed and double-spaced formatted for printing on an 8½-by-11-inch paper. Essays exceeding this length may not be considered.
Organizers are not responsible for lost, late, illegible, or incomplete entries, or entries not received for any reason.
Entries will not be acknowledged or returned.
By entering, Entrant warrants that his or her entry
(1) is original and does not infringe the intellectual-property rights of any third party,
(2) has not been published in any medium, and
(3) has not won an award.
2. Judging: All entries will be judged by representatives from the Holst family and Warren Henry Music, based on the following criteria:
Originality (25 percent),
Creativity (25 percent),
Use of language (25 percent), and
Appropriateness to contest theme (25 percent).
All submitted essays must be nonfiction. Incomplete and/or inaccurate entries and entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification. Decisions of judges are final and binding. Winner will be notified by telephone and/or e-mail after June 1, 2017.
3. Eligibility: Open to fulltime students attending one of the following high schools during the essay contest submission time-period. Eligible high schools are:
Chagrin Falls High School
Kenston High School
Orange High School
Solon High School
4. Prize description: There will be one (1) winner who will receive one guitar and guitar lessons provided by Warren Henry Music. The combined value of a Guitar and lessons will be $1,000 USD. ALL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS. The prizes are awarded without warranty, express or implied, of any kind. THE PRIZES ARE NOT TRANSFERABLE.
5. Conditions of participation: No transfer, assignment, or substitution of a prize permitted, except organizers reserve the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at organizer’s sole discretion.
Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate organizers to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of the organizers, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest.
By entering, Entrant represents that any essay, etc., and other materials submitted as part of Entrant’s contest entry are the original work of Entrant and not copied from any other source and will not constitute defamation or an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such essay.
In addition, by entering, Entrant grants to organizers a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, and republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Entrant’s submitted essay, along with Entrant’s name, likeness, statements, biographical information, and any other information provided by Entrant, in any and all media for possible editorial, promotional, or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice, or compensation (except where prohibited by law).
By entering and/or accepting prize, Entrants and Winners agree to hold and indemnify organizers harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property, relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or any claims including but not limited to claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, or copyright infringement.
False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant ineligible. Organizers, in their sole discretion, reserve the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any entrant or prize winner, if either commits or has committed any act or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which the organizers deem likely to subject the organizers, Entrant, or Winner to ridicule, scandal, or contempt or which reflects unfavorably upon the organizers in any way. If such information is discovered by the organizer after a winner has received notice of his/her prize and before the prize is awarded, the organizer may rescind the prize in its entirety.
Decisions of the organizers are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Organizers are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
6. Internet: Organizers is not responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic-transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or failure to receive entry information by organizers on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof.
If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the e-mail address. The “authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person to whom the e-mail address is assigned.
7. Governing law: This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the State of Ohio without regard to principles of conflict of laws.
8. Severability: If any provision of these Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
9. Organizers: The organizers of this Contest are representatives from the Holst family and Warren Henry Music, 530 Washington St., Chagrin Falls, OH 44022.